Author: Central Department for International Relations and Conferences, ASA
H.E. Counsellor Hesham Badawy, the Accountability State Authority of Egypt (ASA) President, led SAI Egypt’s delegation that participated in the AFROSAI Governing Board’s Extraordinary Meeting, as well as the 15th AFROSAI General Assembly Part 2, held during from March 16 to 18, 2022 in Dakar-Senegal. The AFROSAI Governing Board’s Extraordinary Meeting discussed the most important issues that were submitted to the 15th AFROSAI General Assembly Part 2 for adoption.
Resolutions of 15th AFROSAI General Assembly Part 2 included:
- The adoption of the AFROSAI Statute as well as the Governing Board’s Rules of Procedures. The Governing Board was mandated to apply the new Statute.
- The General Assembly’s declaration and ratification of the composition of the two technical committees. The first committee is the Technical and Institutional Capacity Building Committee, chaired by SAI Kenya and includes 21 member SAIs, including ASA. It aims to enhance the cooperation, transparency and capacity building at the continental level, implement the African Union’s Agenda 2030 and 2063, as well as integrate the concept of Big Data in improving SAI’s performance. The second committee is the Organizational Capacity Building Committee, chaired by SAI Niger and includes 21 member SAIs. This committee aims to eliminate the institutional and organizational weaknesses noted.
- The endorsement of the 2020 AFROSAI Scientific Competition results that were approved by the AFROSAI Governing Board’s Extraordinary Meeting. SAI Libya requested that the General Secretariat call for translating the winning articles, as well as publishing them on the website. SAI Libya offered that it will translate the foreign articles into Arabic. A member of SAI Egypt shared the second prize of the competition with a member from SAI Kenya. In its capacity as Chair of the Editorial Board of the African Journal of Comprehensive Auditing, SAI Egypt will include the winning articles in different languages within the Journal’s special issue that will published to highlight the 15th AFROSAI General Assembly.
In the 15th AFROSAI General Assembly Part 2, the AFROSAI General Assembly discussed two technical themes: the first theme’s session was held on March 17th, 2022, entitled “Auditing the Extractive Industries’ Sector in Africa”. This session comprised of three workshops on the following topics:
- Institutional and organizational framework for extractive industries resource management;
- Auditing the value chain from the extractive industries sector, and;
- Auditing the environmental and social impact of extractive industries.
The second theme focused on “Integrating the Concept of Big Data into the Public Sector Audit”.